From VOA Learning English, this is the Health & Lifestyle Report. 这里是美国之音慢速英语健康和生活报道。 March 16 is International Sleep Day. 3月16日是国际睡眠日。
And we should all celebrate the act of sleeping. 我们大家都应庆祝睡眠这一行为。
Studies have shown that a good night's rest helps us stay healthy, both mentally and physically.
研究表明,晚上睡得好有益身心健康。
And researchers say sleep is probably the best tool we have for memory and learning. 研究人员说睡眠对记忆与学习来说也许是最佳的工 具。
Michael Twery is director of the National Center on Sleep Disorders Research at America's National Institutes of Health.
迈克尔特维里是美国国立卫生研究院睡眠紊乱研究
中心的负责人,
Twery is an expert on the science of sleep and sleep disorders. 他是睡眠与睡眠障碍科学方面的专家,
He told me that a good night's sleep helps to learn better. 他跟我说一晚好睡眠有助于学习。
“Getting a good night's sleep is important for the learning and memory process. “睡个好觉对于学习和记忆来说很重要,
It's important because it stores the training exercises and the learning exercises 睡眠能够更加长久地储存我们的训练与学习活动,
into our more permanent memory while we're sleeping 7-8 hours in bed. 因为当我们睡上七八个小时的时候,
And then the next morning when you wake up your mind is better prepared to act on that information”
第二天早上起来时,你的大脑准备好了处理那些信息。 But what about getting rest during the middle of the day? 不过在中午休息会如何?
Short periods of sleep may help our brains work better,or So says a recent study on napping.
最近,一项有关睡眠的调查表明,短时间睡眠有助于大脑运转。
Past studies have shown that napping can help babies and young children learn better. 以前的研究表明,宝宝和儿童午休有助于学习。 And napping can help brain performance in older adults.
对于年纪稍长的成年人来说,午休能够让大脑更好地运转。
Taking a nap may also help this group of people fight off age-related memory loss. 午休也许能够帮助这些成年人应对因年龄增长带来的记忆衰退