(生存亦或死亡, 是问题所在。) To serve the people well, I study hard. (为了更好的服务于人民,我好好学习。) He was so angry as to be unable to speak. (他气的连话都说不出来了。)
After that day they were separated, never to see each other again. (那日一别,他们再没重逢。) You are never too old to learn. (活到老,学到老。)
He made up his mind to once again ask for her hand in marriage. (他下决心再一次向他求婚。) 15. 冠词与名词
冠词是置于名词之前,说明名词所表示的人或事物的一种虚词。冠词也可以说是名词的一种标志,它不能离开名词而单独存在。一般来讲,定冠词表示特指,不定冠词表示泛指。某些情况用零冠词。 An apple a day keeps the doctor away. (一天一苹果,医生远离我。)
Lake Baikal is the deepest of all the lakes in the world. (贝加儿湖是世界上最深的湖泊。)
Members of the press weren't allowed into the meeting. (新闻记者不得进入会场。)
The Macdonalds finished supper at Macdonald's, and then bowled at the bowling alley. (麦可糖那一家在麦当劳吃过晚饭后去球馆打保龄。)
After you visit your mom in the hospital, call me so we can meet at the movies. (在医院看过你妈妈之后,给我打电话,我们在电影院碰面。)
The Shaws naturally were a musical family. (肖氏一家天生爱好音乐。)
He was a sleek, short man with a bright bald-head, pink face, and gold-rimmed glasses. (他身材矮小,穿着时髦,头光秃,面粉红,戴一副金丝边眼镜。)
名词是表示人,事物和抽象概念的词。 The beautiful are envied by the ugly. (美人总为丑陋者所嫉妒。) The are no batteries in the radio. (收音机里没电池。)
There was no electricity in my dorm last night. (昨晚我宿舍没电。) There's a hair in my soup. (我的汤里有根头发。) You've got very long hair. (你的头发很长。)
He lives in a two-room apartment. (他住在一套两房公寓里。) 16.代词与限定词。
代词是代替名词以及起名词作用的短语、分句和句子的词。一般词义很弱,必须从上下文确定,同时有两种功用:取代名词或作修饰语。
I don't want to share a room with anybody. I want my own room. (我不想和任何同住,我想要自己住。)
The film itself wasn't good but I liked the music. (电影本身不怎么样,但音乐还不错。) Nobody phoned me, did they? (没人来电话,对吧?)
He speaks little Chinese, so it's difficult to communicate with him. (他只能讲一点汉语,所以和他交流很难。) How I wish all the money were mine! (我多希望这些钱都是我的。) 17.关系从句
关系从句包括:主语从句,表语从句,宾语从句,定语从句,同位语从句以及状语从句。通常由以下连词连接:Who, what, that, which, whose, whom, where, when, why, and how. What you have just said does hurt him. (你刚才说的话真伤他的心了。) This is just what I wanted. (这正是我想要的。)
He suggested that we find a better job. (他建议我们找个好点的工作。)
The woman who lives next door is a doctor. (隔壁住着的那个女人是医生。)
I don't like stories that / which have unhappy endings. (我不喜欢结尾不是大团圆的故事。) Everything that happened was my fault. (所有的事都是我的错。)
The news that NATO bombed the China Embassy in Yugoslavia offended all Chinese people. (北约轰炸中国南斯拉夫大使馆的消息激怒了每一个中国人,) The news that the leader will come here is not true. (头儿要来的消息不可靠。)
Whenever I visit him, he is not at home. (不管我什么时候去找他,他都不在家。) Where there is a will, there is a way. (有志者事竟成。)
Wherever there is smoke, there is fire. (无风不起浪。)
I have had so many falls that I am black and blue all over. (我摔了好几跤,全身又青又紫。) Though he is young, he knows a lot. (尽管小,他懂得多。)
18.形容词与副词
形容词修饰名词或代词,副词修饰动词或形容词。两种词都有原级,比较级和最高级。 She was not especially pretty. But she was extremely bright. (她不是特别漂亮,但她极聪明。)
German is a more difficult language than English is. (德语比英语难学。)
Usually mothers cook more delicious food than fathers do. (通常,妈妈做的饭比爸爸做的好吃。)
The coffee is very weak; I like it a bit stronger. (咖啡太淡了,我要浓一点的。)
It's a very old castle. It is the oldest one in Britain. (这个城堡很古老,它是英国最老的了。)
She is a workaholic. She always regards work as the most important thing in the world. (她是个工作狂。她觉得工作是世上最重要的事。)
He did very badly on the exam----worse than expected almost the worst in the class. (他考的不好,比期望的还糟。几乎是全班最差的。)
The mobile phone is as popular as the beeper nowadays (现在手机和寻呼机一样普及。)
It is becoming harder and harder to find a job. (现在找工作是越来越难了。)
The more you exercise, the fitter you will be. (越运动,越健美。)
The harder you work, the richer you will become. (工作越努力,你就越富裕。)
19.虚拟语气
虚拟语气表示所说的话只是一种主观的愿望、假想和建议等。 If you loved me, you wouldn't say that. (如果你爱我,你就不会那样说。)
We would've called a taxi if Liz hadn't offered us a ride home. (假如李兹不送我们回家,我们就打的了。)
You wouldn't have met her if it hadn't been for him. (如果不是他,你就见不到她。)
If I were you, I wouldn't have bought that vase. (如果我是你,我就不买那花瓶。)
Had he worked harder, he would have gotten though the exams. (如果他努力了的话,他就会通过考试的。)
I don't think it is advisable that Tom be assigned to the job since he has no experience. (我觉得把这工作交给汤姆做并不明智,因为他没有经验。)
But for the English examination, I would have gone to the concert last Sunday. (上个星期天,要不是有英语考试, 我就去听音乐会了。) It is time that we made a decision. (是我们作出决定的时候了。)
I would rather you came to see me now.
(我宁愿你现在就来看我。) If only he were here. (要是他在就好了。)
I wish I had followed your advice. (我真希望我采纳了你的建议。)
20.介词
介词又叫前置词,一般置于名词之前。 它是一种虚词,在句中不单独做任何句子成分,只表示其后的名词或相当于名词的词语与其它句子成分的关系。 Do you give each other presents at Christmas? (你们圣诞节互送礼物吗? I learnt to drive in four weeks (我四个星期就学会了开车。).
After working hard during the day I like to relax in the evening. (白天干了一天,晚上我要放松一下。)
There're usually a lot of parties on New Year's Eve. (除夕之夜有很多晚会。)
The conference was very well organized. Everything began and finished on time. (会议安排的很好。开始和结束都准时。)
I must hurry. I want to get home in time to see the football match on television. (我得赶快,我想按时回家,去看球赛。)
At the end of the concert, there was a great applause. (音乐会结束时,响起了热烈的掌声。)
Jim couldn't decide where to go for his holidays. He didn't go anywhere in the end. (几亩决定不了去哪渡假,最终他哪儿也没去。) You'll find details of TV programs on page seven. (你能在第七版找到电视节目的详细预告。) Have you seen this article in the paper? (你在报上看到过这篇文章吗?) London is on the river Thames. (伦敦位于泰吾士河边。)
I was standing at the back, so I couldn't see very well. (我站在后面,看不清。)
We got stuck in a traffic jam on our way to the airport. (去机场途中塞车了。)
I've never met him but I've talked to him on the net. (我没见过他,但我和他在网上聊过天。)
Sometimes I have problems at work but on the whole I enjoy my job. (有时我的工作也有问题,但总的来说,我喜欢我的工作。) The train was traveling at 120 miles an hour. (火车时速一百二十英里。) Did you pay by check or cash? (你用支票还是现金?)
The firm closed down because there wasn't enough demand for its product.
(工厂关门了,因为产品供过于求。)
The train was late but nobody knew the reason for the delay. (火车晚点了,但没人知道为什么。)
Do you think we will find a solution for the problem? (你认为我们会解决这个问题吗?)
Last year was a bad year for the company. There was a big fall in sales. (去年公司不景气。销售额骤减。)
Thank you .It was very nice of you to help me. (谢谢你帮我,你真好。)
I am very impressed with her English. It was good. (我对她讲的英语印象很深。很流利。)
He was late again. It's typical of him to keep everybody waiting. (他又迟到了。他的特点就是让别人等他。) She got very angry and started shouting at me. (她气极了,冲我大喊。)
I don't care for very hot weather. (我不喜欢热天。)
Sue accused me for being selfish. (苏指责我太自私。)
Don't look out of the window concentrate on your work. (别看窗外,专心工作。)
21.短语动词
The bus was full. We couldn't get on. (车挤得满满的,我们上不去。)
A woman got into the car and drove off. (一个女人钻进小车,飞驰而去。)
Sally is leaving tomorrow and coming back on Saturday. (傻俐明天走,星期六回来。)
When I touched him on the shoulder, he turned around. (我拍他的肩膀,他转了过来。) Sorry I am late. The car broke down. (抱歉我晚了,车坏了。)
Look out! There is a car coming. (小心,车来了。)
It was my first flight. I was nervous when the plane took off. (我第一次坐飞机,起飞时我有点紧张。)
I was very tired this morning. I couldn't get up. (我早上很累,起不来。)
My French isn't very good but it is enough to get by. (我的法语不是太好,但应付一下也够了。) Why did you run away from me? (你为什么从我身边跑开?)
You are walking too fast. I can't keep up with you. (你走得太快,我跟不上。)
Are you looking forward to your holiday? (你在盼着你的假期吗?)
Jack is trying to cut down on smoking. (竭克正竭力戒烟。)
They gave me a FORM and told me to fill it out. (他们给我一张表让我填。)
Please fill in the blanks when you are answering the test questions. (你考试时请把那些空填上。)
I think I'll throw away these newspapers. (我想我要扔了这些报纸。)
Sandy was so sick that she threw up all over the bathroom floor. (三滴病了,吐了洗手间一地。)
I arranged to meet Jane after work last night but she didn't turn up. (我昨晚安排下班后见简,但她没来。)
That man was so disgusting, I was instantly turned off. (那男人真恶心,我立即拒绝了他。)
We all know how wonderful you are. There is no need to show off. (我们都知道你不错,没必要再买弄。
The taller, more charismatic of the two friends, out shined the other at the party. (那两个人又高又精神,在舞会上格外出众。)
If you make a mistake on the FORM, just cross it out. (如果填表出了错,划掉即可。)
She was offered a job as a translator, but she turned it down. (有人请她去作翻译,她拒绝了。)
Would you like to see the factory, I'd like to show you around. (你想参观一下工厂吗?我可以领你四处看看。) Did you show up to the meeting yesterday?