第三章 以代词为中心的句型
have nothing to do with? 与??无关 / 与??不往来
A: I don’t care. It has nothing to do with me.
我无所谓,这与我无关。
B: That’s a lousy attitude!
你的态度也太差了!
A: I have nothing to do with my ex-husband anymore.
我跟我的前夫已经一刀两断了。
B: Good for you.
恭喜你。
Anything but? 除了??都
A: Sorry, we don’t have anything but tea to drink.
对不起,我们除了茶没什么可喝了。
B: That’s OK. Tea is fine with me.
没关系。茶也可以。
A: I can help you with anything but math. I’m terrible with numbers.
除了数学,我什么都可以帮你。我的数学糟透了。
B: Well, I really need help with my English anyway.
嗯,不管怎么样我的英语实在需要你的帮助。
Nothing but? 除了??,什么都没有
A: I did nothing but sleep all weekend.
整个周末,我除了睡觉,我啥都没做。
B: Why, were you sick?
为什么,你病了吗?
A: There’s nothing but bad news in the newspaper today.
今天的报纸全是坏消息。
B: It’s the same thing every day.
每天都一个样。
?is really something. ??真是了不起。
Running your own company at age 20 is really something!
20岁就创业了,你真是了不起!
A: She is really something to have passed the TOEFL exam in her freshman year.
他大一时就通过了托福考试,太了不起了。
B: She really is amazing.
他真了不起。
Do something about? 想想办法处理??
A: Can’t you do something about that smell? How can I kiss you when you have that awful breath?
你能不能想想办法去除那股气味?你的嘴巴那么臭,我怎么能吻你啊?
B: Why don’t you just eat some garlic, too?
你也吃一些大蒜不行吗?
A: Do something about your English, or you’ll fail the college entrance exam.
你的英语该加把劲了,不然你的高考会失败的。
B: Do you think I’m stupid? Of course I know that. I just don’t know what to do!
你以为我是傻子啊?我当然知道要努力,只是我不知道该怎么做嘛!
Something like? 有点像??
Your house is something like ours.
你们的房子有点像我们的。
A: He sounds something like his father when he speaks on the phone.
他在电话里的声音有点像他父亲。
B: I know. I often confuse them for one another when I call.
我知道。我打电话时老是把他们混淆起来。
(all) for nothing 白白浪费 / 徒劳
He didn’t learn Crazy English for nothing; now he can speak English very fluently.
他学疯狂英语没有白学,现在他说英语非常流利了。
A: He waited in line for two hours and all for nothing—there were no seats left.
他排了两个小时的队,结果却是徒劳――座席全满了。
B: You’re kidding! That’s really rotten luck.
你开玩笑吧!那简直是倒八辈子霉了。
?or something ??什么的
A: She works for a bank or something.
她好像是在银行还是哪里工作。
B: You don’t sound too sure.
好像你不是很确定。
A: Mom, I’m starving. What’s for lunch?
妈妈,我饿死了。午饭吃什么?
B: Here’s some money. Get yourself a sandwich or something.
这儿有些钱,去给自己买点三明治什么的吧。
第四章 以形容词为中心的句型
be absent from? 没参加?? / 缺席??
A: Why do you want to take the exam later than everyone else?
你为什么要比别人晚一些考试呢?
B: I’ve been absent from class for two weeks.
我两星期没上课了。
A: Did you talk to Jim about our business plan?
你跟吉姆讲过我们的商业计划吗?
B: He was absent from the meeting yesterday.
他没有参加昨天的会议。
Be aware of? 认识到?? / 知道??
A: Are you aware of the dangers?
你知道其中的危险吗?
B: Yes. But I’m willing to take the risk anyway!
是的,但不管怎样我愿意冒这个险!
A: Is he aware of the difficulties in starting a new business?
他知道创业的难处吗?
B: I don’t think so. He’s fresh out of college.
我想不会。他刚从大学出来。
Be capable of? 具备??的能力
He is capable of judging the contest.
他对比赛有很强的判断力。
A: What are you so afraid of?
你怕什么呀?
B: That mob’s capable of any crime.
那个暴徒什么违法的事都会干得出来。
Be envious of? 羡慕??
I’m envious of your progress in English.
我真羡慕你在英语方面取得的进步。
A: My colleagues were envious of my success.
我同事对我的成功很妒忌。
B: Is that why you left the company?
这就是你要离开公司的原因吗?
Be excited about? 对??感到兴奋
I’m very excited about Teacher Li’s upcoming speech.
李阳老师将要来演讲,我很兴奋。
A: The kids are so excited about the Spring Festival.
春节就要来了,孩子们都很兴奋。
B: Everyone loves a holiday!
人人都喜欢过节!
Be familiar with? 熟悉??
A: I’m not really familiar with Guangzhou.
我对广州不怎么了解。