B: I’d be glad to show you around sometime.
我很高兴找个时间带你逛逛。
A: Are you familiar with this type of machine?
你熟悉这种机器吗?
B: No, sorry. I’m afraid not.
对不起,我恐怕不熟悉。
Be fond of? 喜欢??
I am not fond of eating meat.
我不喜欢吃肉。
A: Jack’s too fond of fun, so the boss doesn’t like him very much.
杰克太喜欢闹着玩了,所以老板不太喜欢他。
B: But he’s very popular with his colleagues.
但他非常受同事们的欢迎。
Be jealous of? 嫉妒?? / 妒忌??
Don’t be jealous of others’ success.
别嫉妒别人的成功。
A: Jim is jealous of his new baby sister because his parents spend so much time with her.
吉姆非常妒忌他的婴儿妹妹,因为他父母在他身上花大多时间了。
B: That’s natural. He’ll get over it soon.
那很自然。他很快会克服的。
Be patient with? 对??耐心
A: You’ll have to be patient with my mother—she’s going rather deaf.
你对我母亲得有耐心――他的耳朵越来越不好使了。
B: I wondered why you were shouting at her all the time!
以前我不知道你怎么总是对她大声叫嚷!
A: Be patient with him—he’s a little on the slow side.
对他耐心点――他有点迟钝。
B: I’d say he’s more than a little on the slow side! He’s just plain stupid!
我得说他不仅仅是有点迟钝!他纯粹是个白痴!
Be proud of? 为??骄傲
A: Honey, I’m really proud of you.
亲爱的,我太为你骄傲了。
B: Really? Oh, that means so much to me.
真的?哦,那对我太重要了。
A: He is proud of his daughter’s ability to speak four languages.
他为女儿能说四种语言而骄傲。
B: His daughter is a really genius.
他女儿真是个天才。
第五章 以介词为中心的句型
As for? 至于??
A: I’d love to go to college, but who’s going to pay my tuition?
我很想上大学,但谁来支付我的学费呀?
B: As for your tuition, I’ll pay it.
至于你的学费,我会支付的。
A: What did your boss think of the new management plan?
你们老板对新管理计划抱什么想法?
B: He was thrilled. As for me, I thought it was nothing.
他非常激动。而我认为没什么。
According to? 根据??
According to the directions, this medicine should be taken twice a day.
根据说明书,这种药需要一天服两次。
A: What’s the latest news from America?
有什么来自美国的最新消息?
B: According to Alan Greenspan, the economy is improving.
据格林斯潘说,经济在向好的方面发展。
Apart from? 除了??
A: Who attended the ceremony?
谁参加了庆典仪式?
B: Apart from the new freshmen, all the students were there.
除了新生,所有学生都参加了。
A: Apart from his bad temper, he is a nice guy.
除了脾气坏一点,他是个不错的小伙子。
B: But he does have an awful temper.
但是他的脾气确实太糟了。
Except for? 除了??
Everyone was in favor of the plan except for the new manager.
除了新上任的经理,其他人都赞成这个计划。
A: Your article is excellent except for a few small mistakes.
除了一些小错误,你的文章写得非常好。
B: Do you think you could help me fix them?
你可以帮我改正过来吗?
In addition to? 除了??
In addition to improving your health, eating right can help you to lose weight.
除了增进健康,良好的饮食有助于减肥。
A: What does your mother do?
你母亲是做什么的?
B: In addition to teaching, she also works part-time as a translator.
除了教书,她还兼职做翻译。
In spite of? 尽管??
In spite of the heavy rain, we still made our trip as planed.
尽管雨下得很大,我们还是按计划旅行了。
A: In spite of his fame and fortune, he was basically an unhappy man.
尽管他有名有钱,他过得并不幸福。
B: Money really doesn’t buy happiness you know.
你知道,金钱真的买不到幸福。
Instead of? 代替?? / 而不??
A: You can have tea instead of coffee, if you want.
如果你愿意,你可以不喝咖啡,而喝茶。
B: I prefer coffee.
我还是喜欢咖啡。
A: Why don’t you try helping instead of complaining all the time?
你为什么不能帮忙,而不是抱怨个不停?
B: What? Who do you think you are, talking to me like that?
什么?你以为你是谁,敢这样跟我说话?
In terms of? 从??来讲
In terms of money, her loss was small.
从金钱的角度来讲,她的损失是很小的。
A: What do you think about the level of education in China?
你认为中国的教育水平怎么样?
B: In terms of education, China ranks high in the world.
就教育而言,中国排在世界前列。
Because of? 因为??
Because of bad traffic, we missed our plane.
由于交通阻塞,我们误了飞机。
A: I started to study English all because of you.
我开始学英语都是因为你。
B: Wow! I’m so touched.
哇噻!我太感动了。