We've already got musicians on board. Get out !我们已经有音乐家在船上了,走 Next.下一个
Where the hell's he going ?他在干吗
-What was that ? -I don't know.那是什么?我不知道
When you don't know what it is, it's jazz !你什么时候不知道的,这是爵士乐 Jazz !爵士乐
-What's your name ? -Max Tooney.你叫什么?马斯突尼 Okay !好的
It was the happiest day of my life.那是我一生中最开心的一天 All those people with hope in their eyes,所有人眼里充满了希望
the goodbyes,the sirens and that floating world starting to move.道别声,汽笛声,漂浮的世界正要启程
It felt like one big party just for me.就像专门为我而开的盛大的舞会
But just three days later the ocean got tired of the festivities.但三天以后大海厌倦了欢庆
Suddenly, in the middle of the night, she went berserk and hell broke out.突然,在深夜,她发疯似的乱嚎叫
Now, a guy blowing atrumpet on a ship这时候,有人正在船上吹喇叭 can't do much when there's araging storm.狂风暴雨的时候没什么好做的 Not playing the trumpet is all he can do not to complicate matters.不吹喇叭是唯一他可以做的 不把事情弄复杂的事
But I couldn't bear being downthere.但我不甘心呆在那
21
The same line kept raging in my head : ''he died like a rat.''头脑中不停有声音 “他像老鼠一样死去.”
And I didn't want to die like a rat.我不想像老鼠一样死去 Damn it, I'm lost !妈的,我迷路了 Conn, what's the problem ?你怎么啦 Have you lost your sea legs ?你晕船了?
You're the newtrumpet man, aren't you ?你是新来的吹喇叭的那个人,是吗 You blow a Conn, right ?你晕船,没错吧
Come with me. I have a cure for your misery.跟我来,我有办法帮助你 Follow me.跟我来
-Take the brakes off. -But that's crazy !把闸开了.不是吧,你疯了 Trust me. Go on,take them off.相信我,来吧 Come and sit near me.来坐在我旁边
-You're really nuts ! -Get on now or you never will.你疯了. 现在上来,要不就上不来了
-Tell me, have you got children ? -No.告诉我,你有孩子吗?没有
Shit,they'll lock you up in an orphanage one of these days !妈的,他们会锁在孤儿院里
He's nuts.他疯了
-Whoa, Mama ! -I see you know your horses.啊,妈妈.我看你知道你的马 -A little. -Good man !一点点.不错
It was like the sea was rocking us and while we were floating around大海向我们
22
袭击,我们在漂浮着
brushing the lamps and furniture,狂扫灯和家具
I realised that what we were really doing我意识到我们在做什么
was dancing with the ocean. Perfect, crazy dancers,和大海共舞,完美而疯狂的舞者
locked in a joyful waltz on the golden parquet of night.晚上在金色地板上跳华尔兹
Want some ? Cheers !来点吧,干杯 Hallo, Captain.你好,船长
-Care to go for a ride ? -Nineteen Hundred !介意一起来吗?1900
Who else on this ship would do anything as crazy as this ?在这船上还有谁会 像你一样这样疯狂
I was just experimenting, sir.我只是在试验,先生
When I've perfected it, it won't happen again.当我熟练了,就不会这样了 For me it's a question of brakes. Fix those and away you go !对于我来说只是闸的问题. 把这些弄好,走
-How much will that window cost ? -I don't know, it was huge !那窗户要多少钱? 我不知道,很多吧
We're going to be shovelling coal on this ship forever !我们要永远在船上铲煤吗 Oh, shit !妈的
At I east you know what you'll be doing when you grow up !至少你知道当你长大后要干什么
23
You'll shovel lots of coal.你要铲多点煤 -Hey, Conn. -What ?嘿,什么
-You're from New Orleans, right ? -How did you know that ?你来自新奥尔良,对吗? 你怎么知道的?
-I love that town. -How come you know it ?我喜欢那里.你怎么知道那里的? In the winter, it's beautiful.那里冬天很漂亮 And in March三月的时候
there's always an afternoon, when you least expect it,总有一个下午,在你期待的时候
a roof offog comes down, abarrier,一屋顶的烟雾,栅栏
that hangs just below the street lamps and cuts everything.弥漫在街灯周围 Like a white sword. It's magic !像一把白色的剑,真神奇
The houses lose their top floors, trees lose their branches,房子没有了屋顶 树木没有了枝桠
St Louis Cathedral loses its spires and the passers-by their heads.圣路易斯教堂没有了尖顶 路人没有了脑袋
From the neck up, everything disappears.从颈部,所有的都消失了
All you can see in Jackson Square is abunch of decapitated bodies,在杰克逊广场上所见的是一堆堆的无头尸
stumbling about and greeting each other.互相问候着 ''Everyone all right at home ?''“在家好吗?”
Wonderful ! Too bad it doesn't last long.好极了.怎么不讲下去?
24
But how do you know all these things ?你怎么知道这些事的 Who knows ?谁知道 You know,你知道
ever since I've been on board, I keep hearing about this guy自从我上岸以来 我就不断听到这个人
with a name as long as a Georgia freight train.他的名字像火车一样长
Seems he was born on this ship and hasn't been off it since.好象他出生在船上 从未离开过船
What a crazy story. Twenty years without ever setting foot on land.难以置信.20年没有踏上过土地 Twenty-seven.27年
They say this guy makes music that's never been heard before.他们说这人会弹 以前从没听过的音乐
I've heard of him,too.我也听说过他
At first, I thought it was you.开始我想他就是你
-But something didn't add up. -Of course.但有些不太像,当然
I thought : ''If he's Nineteen Hundred how could he know New Orleans ?''我想,如果他是1900 怎么会知道新奥尔良?
I mean, you've been to New Orleans.我是说你曾到过新奥尔良
If I told you that I'd never set foot in that town,would you believe me ?如果我说我从没到过那里 你相信吗
你是谁?马斯突尼Whoever you are, Max Tooney.
25