Self-introduction自我介绍
Hello, it's really great to have a chance to introduce ourselves and get to know each other.
大家好,我们有机会自我介绍并相互认识真是太好了 。
I am Johnson Liu and I'm working for an advertising company in Shenzhen. 我叫约翰逊·刘,在深 圳一家广告公司工作。
I was born and raised in Chongqing, and I am 25 years old. 我在重庆出生并在那里长大。我今年25岁,
My hobbies include reading, tennis and golf. 喜欢看书、打网球和高尔夫球。
If anyone here does one of these things, let me know. 如果这里有人也有这些爱好,请告知我。
I'm always looking for someone to join me on the golf course or the tennis court!
我经常都想找朋友去高尔夫球场或网球场 。
I think this passage is a good passage to practice with three-ly-method. Because self-introduction is so important.
Self-Induction B
Hello, it's a pleasure to meet you all. 你们好,很高兴见到大家。
I am James Zhao. I am from Changsha, China. 我叫詹姆斯·赵,来自中国长沙。
This is my second trip to the United States, and I really enjoy staying here.
这是我的第二次美国之行,我很喜欢这里。
I am working as a consultant for an overseas shipping company. 我的工作是在一家海外 船务公司做顾问。
I have ten years of experience working and traveling all over Asia. 我干了十年了,几乎跑 遍了整个亚洲。 I'd be happy to answer any questions you might have about the international shipping industry. Thank you!
如果你们有关于国际船 运方面的问题,我非常乐意作答。谢谢 !
New Year's Speech 新年祝辞
Ladies and Gentlemen, 女士们,先生们:
The New Year is around the corner, I would like to extend my New Year's greetings to all my guests and wish everyone good health and happiness. 新年即将来临之际,我谨向各位来宾致以节 日的问候,并祝各位在新的户年里 身体健康,万事如意!
The New Year is a time of new beginnings and new hopes for the future.
新年是新的开始,是对未来充满新的憧憬的时 候, I hope that every one of you find yourself more prosperous and more content with each passing day this year.
我祝愿大家在新的一年 里一天比一天成功、快乐、富 足。 I know that this night will be fantastic celebration of the good friendship and good spirits
that can last not only a year, but a lifetime. 我知道今晚我们将为友 谊和热情而欢呼庆祝。这种友谊和 热情将留存在我们心中 ,不是一年,而是一辈子 。
Have a wonderful evening, everybody, thank you. 祝大家今晚玩得开心! 谢谢!
Banquet Thank-you 宴会答谢
Speech by President Nixon of the United States of America at Welcoming Banquet
美国前总统尼克松在欢迎宴会上的祝酒词
Mr. Prime Minister and all of your distinguished guests this evening: 总理先生,今天晚上在座的诸位贵宾
On behalf of all your American guests, I wish to thank you for the incomparable hospitality
for which the Chinese people are justly famous throughout the world. 我谨代表你们所有的美 国客人向你们表示感谢,感谢你们无可比拟的盛情款待。中国人民以这种盛情款待而闻名于世界。
I particularly want to pay tribute, not only to those who prepared the magnificent dinner, but also to those who have provided the splendid music.我不仅要特别赞扬那些准备了这次盛大宴会的人,而且还要赞扬那些为我们演奏美好音乐的人。
Never have I heard American music played better in a foreign land. 我在外国从没有听到过演奏得这么好的美国音乐。
Chairman Mao has written, %urgently; the world rolls on, time presses. Thousand years are too long, seize the day, seize the hour!\
毛主席写过:\多少事,从来急,天地转,光阴迫,一万年太久,只争朝夕 。\This is the hour. This is the day for our two peoples to rise to the heights of greatness, which can build a new, and a better world. In that spirit, I ask of you present to join me in raising your glasses to Chairman Mao, to Prime Minister Zhou, and to the friendship of the Chinese and American people which can lead to friendship and peace for all people in the world. 现在就是只争朝夕的时候了,是我们两国人民攀登那种可以缔造一个新的、更美好的世界的伟大境界高峰的时候了。本着这种精神,我请求诸位同我一起举杯,为毛主席,为周总理,为能够促成 全世界所有人民的友谊与和平 的中国人民同美国人民之间的友谊 ,干杯!
本篇名句:
Thousand years are too long, seize the day, seize the hour! This is the hour. This is the day for our two peoples to rise to the heights of greatness, which can build a new, and a better world.
额外成就感
Distinguished 著名的、高贵的
That tall, distinguished-looking man is our professor. 那个高高的、相貌尊贵的男人是我们的教授。
Cry out to ··· 急于···
The kitchen is crying out to be painted 厨房急须油漆。
A Wedding Speech 恭贺喜结良缘
Ladies and Gentleman, 各位来宾:
First, I want to offer my heartiest congratulations to my dearest friend Nancy Carson, and to her handsome new husband Paul Zhang, on the glorious occasion of their wedding.
在这个良辰吉日,我首先要向我最要好的朋友南希·卡尔森和她的英俊丈夫保尔·张敬致衷心的祝贺。
I have known Nancy since we were classmates in primary school. 我和南希是小学时的同 班同学。我从那个时候 就认识她了。
I won't tell you how many years have passed since then because I don't want to give away how old we both are, but I can tell you that I have never met another person who is more warm- hearted and sincere than she is. 我不想告诉你们从那时 候到现在有多少年了,因为我不愿意泄露我们两人的年龄。
但我可以告诉你们,我从来没有见过比她更 热心、更真诚的人。
As for her groom, I had never met him until today, but just one look at him has shown me
that he is a true gentleman in every way and an ideal life partner for our beloved Nancy.
至于新郎,我跟他是现 在才认识的。但只要看他一眼;我就知道他是一位真正的绅士,是我们亲爱的南希最理 想的人生伴侣。
I hope that only good fortune and happiness will be poured on this wonderful new couple, and that their life together will truly be a happy one! Thank you.
我希望好运和幸福眷顾这对佳人,并祝愿他们在一起和睦快乐,白头偕老!谢谢大家。
额外成就感
Glorious
光荣的、显赫的
Welcome to our glorious anniversary celebration. 欢迎参加我们盛大的周年庆典。
Give away 泄漏、泄密
I don’t want to give away any company secrets. 我不想泄漏任何公司机密。
Sincere
衷心的、真诚的
I know you will join me in offering a sincere thank you to the planning committee
我知道你会和我一起衷心地感谢计划委员会的。
Speech at a Graduation Ceremony 毕业典礼致辞
Principal Johnson, Honored Teachers, Parents, Fellow Students, Ladies and Gentlemen:
约翰逊校长,敬爱的老师们,家长们,同学们,女士们,先生们:
As representative of the graduating class of 2001, I wish to express heartfelt appreciation and gratitude for the wonderful education that we have received at this school.
我谨代表2001届毕业生,衷心感谢母校给予我们的良好教育。
For the past four years, we have been guided every step of the way, with painstaking care and patience.
在过去四年中,我们在老师和父母们的悉心关怀和谆谆教诲下走过了每一步。 As I stand here now on this glorious commencement day, I realize more than ever before what a great burden we must have been to our teachers, to our principal, and to our parents.
今天是我们毕业的隆重日子,站在这里,我越发深切地感到我们曾经给老师、校
长和父母带去多么沉重的负担。 The only thing that we can say is \you from the bottom of our hearts.\我们所能做的是从心底说声\谢谢!\
The only thing we can give them is our sincerest pledge that we shall make every effort to prove worthy of their great devotion and sacrifice. 并向他们保证,我们决不会辜负他们的辛劳和期望,
We can only pay you back by making ourselves useful to society. 我们会尽一切努力使自己成为对社会有用的人 。
I know I speak for the entire graduating class when I say that we will make you proud.
我知道,当我说我们一定会让你们为我们感到 骄傲时,我是代表整个毕业班的 同学所说的。 Thank you. 谢谢各位
第5部
Political Speeches 编者的话
为什么要选美国总统演讲稿?
或许有人对政治不感兴趣,或许有人会问为什么要选这些演讲稿。理由是美国总统的演讲稿代表着当今美国口语的最高水平,其演讲稿的撰写者是当今美国最著名的一批文学家,他们的用词是最标准的,最现代化,最能让人理解的。试想一下,堂堂总统的演讲稿是任何人可以写的吗?所以我们在本书的政治演说部分选取了两篇最具美国特色的演讲稿。希望读者认真学习他们的遣词造句,行文风格,早日达到地道美语脱口而出。
President William J. Clinton State of the Union Address克林顿2000年国情咨文报告
编者的话
2000年1月27日晚上,美国总统克林顿在华盛顿作了任期内的最后一次国情咨文报告。在报告中,克林顿对过去7年的“克林顿戈尔时代”作了一个总结,极力强调美国经济在此期间取得的成就,但与过去两年一样,对他与前白宫实习生莱温斯基的“性丑闻”避而不谈。 克林顿总统演说的文采非常漂亮,文章中很多精彩而又实用的句子在任何社会场合都可以派上用场。我们给大家挑选了演说的精华片段,掌握了它们,你们就拥有了总统级的演讲水平。
Kim’s Note
It doesn't matter if you like Bill Clinton or you hate him. 不管你是喜欢比尔·克 林顿还是讨厌他,都不要紧.