罗斯基他们家把鸡蛋都扔了
The Loskis have been throwing away my eggs
他们担心会有沙门氏菌 because they're afraid of salmonella.
因为我们家院子乱糟糟的 Because our yard is such a mess.
这话是帕蒂说的吗? Did Patsy say that?
不是 布莱斯说的 No. Bryce did.
但他们全家肯定都这么想 But it must have been a family discussion.
小男孩是不会思考这种问题的 A boy doesn't come up with that on his own.
他们怎么想关我们什么事? Who cares what they think?
就是啊 关我们什么事? Yeah, who cares?
可我在意 蒂娜 I care. Trina.
别往心里去 Let's not get into this.
不 我受够了 理查德 No, I'm tired of living like this, Richard.
为了把账单付清 不得不去打小工
I'm tired of having to take temp jobs just to make ends meet.
必须把椅子放在洗衣机上 I'm tired of having to push a chair up against the washing machine 才能想办法把门关紧 just to keep the door shut.
我真的受够了 每次吸尘机一出毛病 I'm tired of having to borrow Mrs. Steuby's vacuum cleaner
就不得不厚着脸皮向斯特比太太借 every time ours breaks down.
你以为这是我想要的生活吗? Do you think this is the life I pictured for us?
有时我们为了正确的选择 不得不做出牺牲
Sometimes you have to sacrifice to do the right thing.
我们都认为德文赫斯特是最适合丹尼尔的
We always end up agreeing that Devonhurst is the right thing for Daniel.
我们也是时候替自己好好考虑了
Well, maybe we should start thinking about what's right for us.
不能再因为无力修整庭院 让咱家闺女受委屈
Our daughter is suffering because we won't fix up our own yard.
这不是我们的院子 It's not our yard.
你怎么能说这种话 理查德? 你良心何在? How can you say that, Richard? How?
我们在这足足住了12年 We've lived here for 12 years
我们口口声声说是暂居于此 但事实截然相反
and for 12 years we've been saying it's temporary, but it's not.
这就是我们的家 This is our home.
想住豪华大宅有错吗? Is it wrong to wanna live somewhere you can be proud of?
想供孩子上大学有错吗? To have enough to send your kids to college?
是时候考虑选择政府救济了 Maybe it's time we considered government care.
我们不能弃我弟弟于不顾 We are not moving my brother.
他比你自己的孩子还重要? He's more important than your own children?
爸爸 你再给我说一句! Dad! How dare you!
别吵了 爸爸 求你了 别这样 Stop it, Dad! Please, just stop.
对不起 朱莉安娜 这不是你的错 I'm sorry. Julianna, this is not your fault.
我们会想办法解决的 我向你保证 We'll work this out, I promise.
那是我第一次 That was the first time
看到父母大动干戈 I ever heard my parents really yell at each other.
今晚的事我很抱歉 I'm sorry about tonight.
他们都先后来到我房间 That night they each came into my room.
我爸爸说了叔叔的遭遇 说他很爱他
My father talked about his brother and how much he loved him
他曾经答应父母会永远照顾他
and how he promised his parents he'd always take care of him.
妈妈说她很爱爸爸
My mother talked about how much she loved my father
她爱他的坚强与善良 for his strength and kind heart.
她亲吻我向我道晚安 When she kissed me good night
在我耳边说道 我是她最大的骄傲
she whispered that of all her many blessings, I was her best.
我对爸爸充满歉疚 I felt sorry for my father.
亦对妈妈心怀歉疚 I felt sorry for my mother.
但更重要的是 我庆幸能成为他们的女儿
But most of all, I felt lucky for me that they were mine.
我觉得自己下决心整理院落
I wanted to think the reason I started working on my yard
和布莱斯的话毫无关系 had nothing to do with Bryce.
我只想让这个家更为温馨 It was about making our house better.
他既然能扔掉我送的鸡蛋 After what he did with the eggs,
我又何必在乎他的想法? why should I care what he thought?
但我始终还是在乎 But I did.
你到底是想修剪枝桠 还是伐木啊? Are you pruning that or trying to hack it to death?
嗨 我是切特·邓肯 布莱斯的外公 Hi. I'm Chet Duncan, Bryce's grandfather.
不好意思 过了这么久才来打招呼
Sorry it's taken me so long to come over and introduce myself.
很高兴认识你 Nice to meet you.
你是想把它们修剪平整吗? So are you trimming all these to the same height?
没错 我就是这么想的 却不知如何下手
Well, yeah, that's what I was thinking, but I don't know.
你觉得把它拔了会不会好看一点?
Do you think it would look better to take them out?
这是红豆杉灌木 会越来越漂亮的
Oh, these are Hicksii shrubs. These will prune up nicely.
听我说 邓肯先生 Listen, Mr. Duncan.
叫我切特就好 Call me Chet.
切特 Chet.
如果你是因为布莱斯说的那些话而来 If you're here because of what Bryce said
那就大可不必了 I don't need your help.
我在报纸上看到关于你的报道 Read about you in the paper.
芮妮如果还在 一定会陪你坐在树梢 Renee would've sat up in that tree with you.
她可以在上面坐上整夜 She would've sat up there all night.
芮妮? Renee?
我妻子 My wife.
你让我不自觉想起她 You remind me a lot of her.
我们在院子里忙活了几个星期 We worked on the yard for weeks.
我们一边干活 一边聊天 And the whole time we worked, we talked.
你那好了没? 好了
Right there? Perfect, yeah.
他想了解无花果树 He wanted to know more about the sycamore tree.
他非常清楚 He knew exactly what it meant
整体胜于部分的总和是什么意思 about the whole being greater than the sum of its parts.
他说人也如此 He said it was the same with people
但有时候 人还没那么好 but sometimes with people, the whole could be less.
我觉得很有意思 I thought that was pretty interesting.
我开始重新审视从小学就认识的人们
I started looking at people I'd known since elementary school
想知道他们 trying to figure out if they were
是不是整体胜于全部 more or less than the sum of their parts.
切特说得对 很多人还不如 Chet was right. A lot of them were less.
在我所有同学中 只有布莱斯不知该归到哪类
Of all my classmates, the one person I couldn't seem to place was Bryce.
要是以前 我会极其肯定地说
Until recently, I would've said with absolute certainty
他的整体远远好于全部 that he was greater, far greater, than the sum of his parts.
但现在我不确定了 But now I wasn't so sure.
很漂亮的院子啊 朱莉 干得好 It's looking good, Juli. Nice job.
谢谢 这都是切特的功劳 Thanks. Chet did most of it.
我很抱歉自己的所作所为 I'm sorry for what I did.
我真想不明白 布莱斯 I just don't get it, Bryce.
你为什么不直说呢? Why didn't you just tell me? 他是真的抱歉吗? Was he really sorry?
还是他这样说只是为了让自己好受一点?
Or was he just saying these things to make himself feel better?
于是我在想 也许他的好 Then I thought maybe I just wanted him
都只是我的一厢情愿 to be more than the sum of his parts.
但当我直视他的双眼 But as I looked into his eyes
那双忽闪忽闪的眼睛 those dazzling eyes
有生以来第一次 for the first time
我十分确定布莱斯·罗斯基没那么好 I was pretty sure that Bryce Loski was less.
我们要请贝克一家来吃晚餐 We're going to invite the Bakers over for dinner.
啥? 我不懂 妈妈
What? I don't know, Mom.
好主意啊 I think that's a marvelous idea.
帕蒂 什么理由? Patsy, what purpose does this serve?
蒂娜·贝克人很好 Trina Baker is a very nice person.
马特和马克也很有意思 讨厌有意思的人
And Matt and Mark are really cool. I hate cool.
早就该请他们过来了 Something we should've done years ago.
对啊 但一直没请 现在请不了了 Yeah, but we didn't. And now we can't.
时效已经过了 The statute of limitations has run out.